Monday, June 22, 2015

Cascade Falls, Lake Tahoe Basin Mgt Unit





22 June, 2015

A short hike with my yoga pals this morning. Up from Bayview Campground to Cascade Creek and back.

We had planned to hike in the Carson Pass area, but there is a rapidly expanding, fierce wildfire in that area: The Washington Fire. We didn't want to mess with fire and smoke, so decided to head to beautiful Lake Tahoe instead.

That 'cloud' behind the mountains is probably the plume from the fire, visible on our hike out from the falls. We could see it rising up and up in just a few minutes of watching!


Here's a map, with labels to give you an idea of the distance between our hike and the fire. I dropped the scale in the middle of the lake.



The road leading to the trailhead is right across from Inspiration Point. I took a picture.




We stopped playing tourist, and set out on our hike.

The trail starts off flat but soon gets typically Sierra-ish, with rock staircases in abundance.



On our way out, we saw a LOT of people hiking in. One group looked straight off the beach: swimsuits, flipflops, and one case of bare feet. I wonder if she put her shoes on eventually?

We found an easy way to cross the creek, and had another little break. We love our rest stops!

Lots of downed trees.



Despite my best efforts at editing this photo, I still look like I have a giant, drooping mustache. Fiddle!


I had a bit of panting on the way out from the elevation, I guess. So we took more stops! No shade is safe from the Hiking (Resting?) Yoginis!



We were not done with Tahoe, once back to the car, and checked out the parking lot above Vikingsholm, but it was absolutely full. Jam packed to the gills.

So we drove on a ways, found a nice beach, Baldwin Beach, and ate lunch at a nicely located picnic table. I waded in Lake Tahoe for a few seconds. At least as cold as Lake Superior in August!


The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment