Saturday, September 23, 2023

New shoes for meeeeee! Insoles, too.

 My Splay Freedom sneakers came today.


Awesome. 


I went with 12W because my feet are very very wide. I tried a bunch of different lacing patterns, settling on lock lacing, which keeps the shoe very nicely attached to my foot with minimal heel-slop.

Although I could wish for a little tiny bit of extra height at the toe box, they do fit well enough with the Correct Toes over my Injinji socks!

Freedom, Correct Toes, and battered Keds.

These are replacing my toe-smashing Keds. 






I will want a cushion insole in there because I'm old and fat and my feet are picky.

These shoes come with an optional insole. I will use them for now. I did try stacking both insoles in one shoe and there was still just enough room in the toe.

So, I'll probably go with a Northsole insert, the thinner Legacy3. I don't think the extra cushion version will leave enough height for my toes.

Nice segue!

Those Altra are dying, aren't they?
I got a pair of Northsole Legacy Extra Cushion insoles and trimmed them and stuck them in my dying Altra Torin trail runners (a zero heel, wide toe box shoe) that I use for work. I'll keep wearing the Torin until I can switch to the Freedom for work.

The size large in Northsole was just big enough to trim down for my men's 11 US Altra shoes. Going forward, I'll be buying XL in the Northsoles.


My goal is not to pay $100+ for a pair of shoes every 4 months, but to buy one pair a year and new insoles sometimes. AND to have happy toes.

I suppose I ought to provide a reference pic of my smashed feet. I should have taken a picture a week ago, since I can already see a little space developing between my first and second toes.




No comments:

Post a Comment